Friday 4 July 2008

1st time gig with a walking stick!





I just got these back today. They're from my gig at the Isle of Wight festival. Had a top one, and could'nt really believe it, cuz 3 days before i fell down my stairs at home holding my Roland Juno 60 which is big n' heavy. Fortunately i went down lob sided so the Juno was ok; but my ankle was'nt. I nailed it and thought i'd maybe broken it for a minute. Rod Hotly was in front of me and turned round, called an ambulance and watched me go into mild shock. White as a sheet, sweating buckets and my ears started ringing, fuzzy vision; but he got me some water and i was still there. The ambulance came and they brought happy gas! YEEEAAAH! Get yer lips round that mate n' have as much as you want!" the guy said. It was ace and had the reverse effect of helium on my voice, makin' it go super low. Within bout 2 minutes i could'nt feel a thing a looked forward to the ride. The guy in the back with me turned out to be a drummer and it was well cool explaining what i did and he was tellin' me bout this thing called rock school that he goes to. He felt he just was'nt good enough to do it in a band. I think that's one of the things that unfortunately stops people from goin' after what they want...confidence. I said that i believed it was all in the mind and was'nt worth pondering over, that he should just go for it, then took another big ass blast on the happy gas. I passed it towards him and we laughed.
Turned out that i'd torn one of three ligaments that go over the foot and up the leg. I thought i was fucked. No way could i do the gig on Saturday. I rang my brother and told him i'd nailed myself and that i would'nt make it for the gig! He offered to take me all the way there in his car and help me on the ferry, to get to the fezzy!!! What a star! His insentive was Iggy and the Stooges AND the Sex Pistols on the same bill, same day haha. I called the fezzy dude and explained things. He sorted out another bed for my bro and he got a pass so was over the moon. We had an ace time; I had to use a walking stick which was funky as hell. Even more so when i arrived on the Isle Of Wight cuz nearly everybody had one and i fitted right in heh (there's alot of O.A.P's who like it there, it's well nice)

I had some super hardcore painkillers and the Strongbow tent was my destination. Strongbow on tap, not my regular drink of choice but, bothered! ;) Weather was ace, gig went well, got leathered, watched Iggy cold rip shit up like the living legend that he is, big up Mike Watt on bass-the new stooge. Sex Pistols were ace, did'nt feel a thing hardly all night. Until bout 5am when i woke feelin' well ruff. Should'nt have had that sketchy hotdog last thing and had to get up to puke, fuck it. What a weekend :)

My foot was pretty fucked the day after. Me n' our kid had tickets to see the Blue Oyster Cult in Manc that night. If ya aint heard much by them they've done some good stuff in their time and they're still buzzin' off it. The academy 2 was full. My fav moment was "Godzilla". Man, what a tune. Got a lift back to Crewe n' stayed at home with my parents for a few days to recover.

No comments: